Monday, February 7, 2011

The First Actual Day of the Semester

Today began the semester. I had work, two classes, and a tutorial along with it snowing for the first time since I have been here. Work is only about a 7 minute walk from my flat. Maybe not even that long if it isn't snowing and I am not wearing heels. I am working for Infield Systems which is a market research company. I am not 100% sure what I will be doing this semester but sounds like I will be writing a novel. I have to compile research and other data and make a global perspective book which is about 180 pages long. That is my ultimate goal for the semester but we will see how it goes. Hopefully, I will be a published writer at the end of it! How cool! My office consists of one room where Ryan, another new full time worker, and me all sit at a big table and Kader, my boss, sits at his own desk. That is it. Infield has only about 30 workers and just the four of us in Aberdeen. It is kind of exciting helping this new company expand its business. But today just consisted of an introduction to the company, getting my laptop uploaded, and trying to get my work schedule situated. No worries though, my schedule for the semester is still not figured out.

School was school. Jurisprudence had only 6 people in it including Kristen and me. That class was at noon and UK Oil and Gas Law was from 2-5. I think I will really enjoy my UK Oil and Gas class. I will learn alot about the UK Continental Shelf and offshore drilling. I learned a little about offshore at Newfield but it was only a brief overview. The professor's name is John and he seems extremely helpful and kind. He will also be our academic advisor while we are here. John is way more open to asking questions in class and having other discussions.

I lost my voice today. I met my boss and I think he thought I sounded like a man and then a chipmunk. Maybe even a male chipmunk ha. I am getting sick.

Last night, I watched the super bowl at the student Union. It was definitely an interesting experience. The super bowl is not the same without American commentators, American commercials, or American super bowl snack food. I didn't even think that there wasn't going to be American commericals. Boo that. The British commentators would come on the screen and just ask ex-pro football players what was going on. It  was weird watching the game with boys who didnt know what was going on. If a man from America didnt know what was going on he would be shunned for life. Different culture, different sports.

I always plan on writing short blogs to keep people's attention but they always end up long. I don't proof read them so don't judge me. Tomorrow is Kristen's 21st birthday. I am planning on surprising her with a cake (hopefully she doesn't read this before then and if you do Kristen act surprised). There is also a pub that has a birthday cake flavored shot I am going to buy her. Yumm cakee!

Cheers


This is a German Sausage Bar and a Coffee Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment