Monday, February 21, 2011

Change

So tonight I asked Tony and Eric why they decided to study abroad and it got me thinking on the real reason I decided to study abroad. In high school, I thought studying abroad was stupid and I would have never thought that second semester of junior year I would be in Aberdeen, Scotland. But I think that is what is so great about college and figuring out more about yourself. I have only been in Scotland for a little less than a month and I have learned so much about myself. I know this is totally cliche but it is actually the truth. Before I arrived in Scotland, I thought I hated change. But now if I actually look at things, I don't. Rather I really enjoy doing new things and being more adventurous. I always cry when leaving a place but end up loving it when I leave. The crying is more because I am going to miss the people I love and not because I don't want to go. I enjoy exploring places that I have never been before. I love going on the bus in Scotland and just randomly picking a line and not knowing where it will take me. So basically I am enjoying the unknown?? If you know me than you would know that this is extremely unlike me. My whole life I felt like I had to know what was going on and always be on top of things. I had to be in control of the situation. Hmmm.. so maybe I still like being in control but I think it's in a different way. I can't really explain it right now but hopefull one day I will be able to let you all in.

On more of a work topic, I enjoy my internship because it shows me that there is a lot more to do in the oil and gas industry than just being a landman. I want to be a landman right after school but that doesn't mean that is what I want to do the rest of my life. I am relieved to know that the opportunities are endless. It is such a great industry and I love being in it, but I wouldn't enjoy being confined to studying one  geographical area for years and years. Again with the change, I really enjoy it.

Without change, things get boring. Imagine a life where everything is the same every day. How exciting would that be? What would you look forward to? Change is inevitable and neccessary and so many people shouldn't be afraid of it. It's a great thing if you actually take the time to look at it. There is so much in this world that needs to be experienced and you might miss out on something incredible if you are to afraid of something different and let it pass you by.

On a totally different note... A day in the life of Hannah led to a bloody nose on Saturday night. Kristen and I were dancing at a club and Kristen accidently head butted me in the nose. I started gushing blood and ran to the bathroom. It finally stopped and I left the bathroom stall and had blood all over my face. Luckily I washed it off before going back out. I woke up the next morning to an extremely soar nose. Today, I think it was swollen and had a tiny bruise on it. So yes, I stubbed my toe, hit my head, and got a bloody nose all within a few days of each other. Scotland watch out.

Americans should use more public transportation.

Cheers



Only in Scotland would you find American dresses

Me and my flatmates: Greig, Kyle, and Sean



No comments:

Post a Comment