Thursday, April 14, 2011

San Gimignano in the Tuscan Countryside

"Here we are in San Gimignano" ha ha sorry I am making fun on myself. A little about San Gimignano... It seemed kind of like we were going back in time to a place with wishing wells and fortresses with harp music and everything. San Gimignano has 14 medieval tower still standing from the original 72 it used to have. These towers used to be used to protect the city. But now, there are two torture museums and a bunch of tourists.  




On Sunday we drove to San Gimignan which is located in the Tuscan countryside. We walked around in and went into a bunch of shops with multi-colored pasta, Italian leather handbags, etc. I ended up coming back to one shop later on in the day to buy tie dye pasta. I recently ate it and it was so good! I am sure that I just thought it was 10x better than it actually was because it was tie dye and there was even yellow pasta!  As you can see in the video, Tuscan scenery is beautiful. It actually kind of reminded me of the highlands in Scotland but with wine vinyards instead. We listened to a man playing a flute in the courtyard of a church and to another man playing the harp with the country in the background. Here, we climbed another tower but it was only a few steps compared to the rest of our trips. From the tower, we could see a 360 degree view of Tuscany. That is also where the video is taken from. Kristen and I frollicked around in fields of grass and even climbed a tree! We then ate lunch at a restaurant overlooking the country. I sat directly in the sun and was burning up but it was worth it! By this point of the trip I wasn't going to complain about nice weather since I was used to Aberdeen weather. It would have also been nice to have some sunglasses but we didn't buy those until later in Florence. After lunch we got some gelato of course and walked around some more. We later left San Gimignano and got lost in our car trying to find another small medieval town called Monteriggeroni. It was an open air fortress with a small town inside and a castle wall surrounding the village. We only stayed there for thirty minutes and decided to make our treck back to Florence before it got dark. For dinner, my aunt made pork, rice, and artichokes that we dipped in butter. I surprised my mom with a Happy Mum's Day card and backery sweets. Kristen and I ventured out on our own to find Marcello's Bakery. We found it pretty easy but had a hard time communicating with them once we got there. We got six different treats for everyone to try. My mom just thought we just went on a walk but instead we surpised her with bakery sweets! I picked her flowers, gave her the treats and the card and surpised her with a early Mother's Day. In the UK, they celebrate Mother's Day in April instead of in May like we do in the U.S. So it was a nice little surprise for her and I think she really enjoyed it!

All the pasta in the world!

Tuscany
A wishing well


frolicking in the grass
More countryside
San Gimignano from afar
Some of the towers still standing

Cin Cin from San Gimignano!

No comments:

Post a Comment